What does a day look like for a student at JVA?
Our program is designed to provide sufficient structure and opportunities for students to attain job and career training, educational advancement, and leadership opportunities to ultimately build strong character and gain the necessary tools for lifelong sobriety.
- A typical day at the academy begins around 6 a.m. Students will get ready for their day in our state-of-the-art dormitories.
- A nutritious breakfast is prepared and served by students assigned to our cafeterias.
- Following breakfast there is morning group and chores.
- Students will then disperse to their assigned duties throughout one of our various businesses and functions within the program designed to support the community, allow them to gain work experience and continue their education and life skills training.
- Lunch and dinner are served at the assigned times and the students conclude their day with a variety of structured activities such as peer-to-peer counseling, leisure time, sports and fitness, as well as planned outings to experience the arts, entertainment, nature, and more.
Adopting a New Lifestyle
To obtain life-long sobriety, it is essential that a person learns and adopts an entirely healthy new lifestyle. Under the direction of our Program Directors and other senior managers, our students do exactly that. This is accomplished, in part, by being taught and learning the following:
- Learn to communicate effectively, co-operate with others, and better deal with the public.
- Become responsible, accountable, punctual, polite, reliable, and productive.
- Develop patience, tolerance, a “stick to it” attitude.
- Become valuable employees and take pride in performance
- Develop humility, self-control, and excellence in standards, manners and etiquette.
- Gain experience in business principles and entrepreneurship, management and leadership skills, problem-solving, and how to handle criticism.
- Learn to go the extra mile and to be givers instead of takers.
- Develop the ability to deal with changes and improve self-confidence.
- Enjoy a wide range of healthy indoor and outdoor activities without any stimulants.
Life As A Student FAQ’s
What kind of transitional services/relapse prevention does JVA provide?
Transition support first begins as the student nears graduation. Through our Re-entry Program, we connect students with a mentor and they begin learning the skills needed to be successful out on their own. These skills include banking, resume building, applying/interviewing for jobs, and money management.
For graduates who want to ease back into the “real world”, we offer transitional housing. This housing is affordable and located close to their JVA campus. This option allows graduates of the program to stay close to the Therapeutic Community and other graduates of our program. We also provide access to job opportunities at our Life-Skills Training Centers or other local businesses that we have developed relationships with.
Do you offer specialized plans for each student in the program?
Can my family visit me while I am in the program?
What can I bring with me to JVA?
Should I get treatment locally or away from home?
What are the facilities like?
- Modern living quarters with comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and access to necessary hygiene and toiletry items
- Healthy meals prepared and served in excellent cafeterias
- Furnished workout rooms and sports courts
- Access to advanced computers and technology
- Designed and developed space to spend time in and enjoy nature
- Libraries and reading rooms
- Music rooms with instruments provided
- And more…
Does your program have a nutritional component?
Will I have a roommate?
Do you offer family support?
"We were in a really tough spot with our daughter. She wouldn't take any advise from us and she was going down a dark path. We knew there were programs out there, but most had two limitations: 1) high monthly cost, and 2) ineffectiveness. Most were short-term programs that just focused on abstinence.
We needed something more, and something we could manage budget wise. John Volken Academy was/is the perfect fit. A 2 yr program that focuses on mental and emotional well being as well as the physical side. Our daughter will return home soon, and we can tell from our regular contact with her that there has been a LOT of change and it is genuine.
If you are in the same spot we were two years ago, PLEASE look into JVA. It will definitely change your life and the life of your loved one."
I can not thank them enough!"